Talking With: Discussing Ellen Lewin’s “F— You, Republicans!” email

Yale talks with University of Iowa Professors Timothy Hagle and Kembrew McLeod, Matt Sowada, the conservative co-host of the political talk radio show American Reason on KRUI, and Rod Sullivan from the Johnson County Board of Supervisors about Professor Ellen Lewin’s “F— You, Republicans!” email response to the University of Iowa College Republicans campus-wide invite for people to participate in “Conservative Coming Out Week.”

All previous episodes of “Talking With . . .” can be viewed at www.talkingwithyale.com

Related Videos:

13 Responses so far.

1. Bob Mack says:

Excellent discussion. Thanks for directing me here. I found Prof. McLeod’s comments germane. I assume from Prof. Lewin’s initial irrational response to the E-mail that, in her undergraduate days, she was not a partisan of underground newspapers & comix, MAD magazine, or National Lampoon–or perhaps she only finds value in liberal rhetoric that pokes fun at conservative beliefs, not a particularly useful trait for an educator, although fine for a propagandist. She (and the university) should decide which she is.

2. Randy Crawford says:

The University of Iowa has been run as a (trying to keep it hidden) lesbian dictatorship for decades. Lewin’s big boss, lesbian abortionist Susan R. Johnson, used to be merely Associate Provost for Faculty and Staff but has more recently been promoted to University Omsbudsperson operating directly out of President Sally Mason’s office, so she (Johnson)can run interference for people like Lewin that she installed on the faculty payroll in previous years. Just today (4-28-2011 page 2A, the campus newspaper ‘The Daily Iowan’ mentioned aspects of Johnson’s helping railroad surgery professor Adel Al-Jurf out of a job. In 1991, lesbian networker Anne Cleary, Univ. Iowa Vice President, blackmailed an already unstable Lu Gang (cf. Deadly Scholarship by Edwin Chen) and was thus the final straw setting him off on a campus mass-murder rampage. Thanks to its homosexual mafia Iowa City has had similar episodes (e.g. the Steve Sueppel murders of Easter 2008)and the racket will of course not be bothered in the least to cover up everything they can to make sure Lewin’s job is either protected in Iowa City, or else a comfy sinecure will be found for her elsewhere at the expense of some other group of anesthetized taxpayers.

3. QC Ghost says:

Thanks for the comment/post. We have another ‘voice’ to follow now.

4. Charles says:

Is there a text transcript of this video? It’s a big waste of my time spending 6 minutes listening to a republican when I could read it in 30 seconds (or less, depending on typical lack of content from wingnuts)

5. Joe says:

The phrase “coming out” has been in use long before gays and lesbians started using it. It is a very old phrase that was and is used by debutantes and others. Only a gay person would think that they own this phrase.

6. Joe says:

Further:
    “Coming out” quotes:
    Like any coming out gala or cotillion, the Ball is replete with … (thepreppyprincess.wordpress.com/…)

Many débutantes would also have their own “coming-out party” or, alternatively, …(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Débutante)

For those in “society” with contacts to the royal family, the actual coming out was the introduction of the debutante to the king or queen. …(www.victoriaspast.com)

The event marks the traditional “coming out” ceremony also known as the Debutante Ball which was also used to mark the beginning of the …(www.worldcarfans.com)

Are all these sources gays, queers, lesbians or transgendered? I don’t think so. Actually, the LGBT group and their cohorts have tried to co-opt the phrase which is ridiculous. And why can’t LGBT and other groups be the target of humor by those that don’t perceive them to be a “religion”?

7. Dan Oblak says:

I have, on more than one occassion (and so have dozens of blogs, newscasters, politicians, and barflies), used ‘coming out’ when referring to Mac users, Conservatives, fans of almost any serial television show or movie, fans of country music, cat owners, members of ANY ’12-step group’, drivers of non-American cars, or owners of any particular phobia (for instance, fear of flying). To date, no one I have conversed with have ever questioned whether the use of this phrase outside of a description of the LGBT struggle is appropriate or not. What I HAVE almost universally heard agreement on is that those who wallow in victimhood as a first-strike method of engagement have co-opted conversations to the point that the freedom of speech they so loudly claim to espouse is in jeopardy. Speech can be unfairly quelled to favor the feelings (NOT the rights) of a small, undisciplined minority. In this way has the entire country moved… at least in speech… toward the more politically correct — and perhaps away from the unobstructed and successful communication of thoughts and ideas.

8. Randy Crawford says:

Dan Oblak, commenting on the attempted hoarding of “coming out” terminology, is among the top 1% of perceptive citizens who refuse to be anesthetized by the University of Zero Nobel Prizes and its habitual aspirations toward imaginative deceptions. U of I administrators, along with accomplice “like-minded individuals” nationally, have for decades attempted to promulgate similar hallucinatory campaigns of calculated specious verbal mismanagement. This specific malaise has been otherwise known as “Newspeak” ever since George Orwell exposed such dubious devious tactics in his book “1984.” The recent Lewinesque umbrage taken at “coming out” being used by anyone other than the imperious insider few is merely the latest manifestation of a trend deliberately begun in the 1960′s by warping the word “gay” into supposedly becoming a synonym for “homosexual.”

As Wikipedia explains: “Newspeak is a fictional language in George Orwell’s novel Nineteen Eighty-Four. In it, it refers to the deliberately impoverished language promoted by state. The term was also used to discuss Soviet phraseology.[1] Orwell included an essay about it in the form of an appendix[2] in which the basic principles of the language are explained. Newspeak is closely based on English but has a greatly reduced and simplified vocabulary and grammar. This suits the totalitarian regime of the Party, whose aim is to make any alternative thinking—”thoughtcrime”, or “crimethink” in the newest edition of Newspeak—impossible by removing any words or possible constructs which describe the ideas of freedom, rebellion and so on. One character, Syme, says admiringly of the shrinking volume of the new dictionary: “It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.” Syme also stated that the eventual goal of re-editing the Newspeak dictionary was for the language to compress to a single word which would express every necessary thought or emotion. …(more text at Wikipedia)”

Precisely so. The goal of the Orwellian totalitarians in both “1984″ and state-run Univ. Iowa administrative offices is to impoverish the language, direct the cattle upon Big Brother’s (or Big Sister’s) whim, and hope the peasants never notice how they are being verbally anesthetized and herded about. This directed linguistic impoverishment is in 2011 accompanied by large doses of fabricated “hatespeech” accusation as the current doubletalk substitute for Orwell’s originally stated “thoughtcrime” and “crimethink” verbiage. But as Abraham Lincoln observed: “You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time.”

9. Merle Ward Mcgrew says:

I have been denied commenting in the Gazette , because of my 88 years as a conservative god fearing Republican.If you care to review my comments you may see why, they feel it necessary to shut down that viewpoint.

10. Randy Crawford says:

Merle Ward Mcgrew speaks the truth about the Cedar Rapids Gazette. They fear the truth because they have so much to hide. They act as active propagandists for abortion interests and homosexual interests. Not only do they actively censor viewpoints they don’t like, in print and on line, but they also will commonly do an article on the homosexuals or abortionists with no rebuttals or alternative viewpoints whatsoever. Yet if they do an article on baby-savers (Krista Jacob hoax about being threatened) or a group that doesn’t like homosexuality (like the JudgeBus rally in Cedar Rapids to advocate throwing out the three “Justices” last Fall), they make sure to downplay actual crowd size, what the speakers actually said, and then particularly they make sure the article (or spot on allied KCRG-TV) closes with a rebuttal from the pro-abortion or pro-homosexual crowd as the concluding hook for the reader to take away. Their active bias gets more obvious each year. The Des Moines Register similarly is so rigged I have even caught their computers automatically refusing, repeatedly, to accept letter-to-the-editor input before it could even be read by humans. The same text sent a few seconds later under a different name was accepted by the same computer filter immediately. The Iowa City Press-Citizen will sometimes allow non-left viewpoints to be expressed, but they tend to end any series of letters to the editor with a strong last word from the lefty crowd, again as the final take-home message. And, they tend to censor out anything containing specific facts that disprove their Gannett newspaper chain bias. I have even seen the Press-Citizen bring their own counterprotestor to a protest against homosexuality, and make their news story primarily about the rustled-up counterprotest effort (their obvious slant, as they actively modified it) rather than covering the original actual event. Big Brother fabricates the news he wants to “cover” as if it were the larger reality. ABC-TV news in Washington D.C. does the same thing, and lies about crowd size, e.g. at the annual March for Life held each January. To appear balanced, the Press-Citizen will sometimes endorse a Republican candidate, but only if they are sure from polling results the endorsement won’t make a whit of difference. The Iowa Independent is basically is left-run media operation, however they tend to be more open-minded about accurately reporting what they cover, not altering it first, and avoiding censorship. The credited writer isn’t necessarily the person who did the interview, but at least they tend to get their factual content very reasonably close to accurate. In the case of Ellen Lewin, a leftist racket individual with as much to hide as Hitler’s growing 1930′s racket, she accidentally blurted out a symptom of the larger problem, which is all about suppression of other people’s rights and the primacy of a clique aspiring to control the state. Over and over, rackets prioritize censorship because they fear the truth.

11. Dave S says:

hi Im an uneducated male that likes women….Im aware of the atmosphere at the state universities….its real simple…coming out week for conservatives is a jab at the gay community…so what?…when a student has conservative beliefs, they are ostracized and demeaned much like the treatment that the gay community is trying to end. its plain and simple regardless of what the coming out email was…the professors response was unethical and unprofessional.PERIOD…she should be fired immediately for once again pressuring students because of their personal beliefs.

12. randy crawford says:

To illustrate my posting of May 14, 2011, here’s a specific example of censorship from KCRG-TV, the broadcasting affiliate of the Cedar Rapids Gazette:

The Cedar Rapids Gazette is the major newspaper of Iowa’s second largest city, near Iowa City. Their television affiliate (in the same building on the same block) is KCRG-TV Channel 9. They both routinely slant most everything pro-homo and pro-abortion. A month or two ago they posted this on the Internet:

*************************************
    CEDAR RAPIDS SCHOOLS SURVEYS PARENTS AS ENROLLMENT DROPS
    http://www.kcrg.com
    CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — Facing declining enrollment, Cedar Rapids Community School District is asking parents what to do next.The district posted a community survey on its website asking for feedback on proposals to handle fewer students.
    *************************************

So, I sent them a response about the obvious, which any school child could have figured out without being told:
    “”Real smart. Let’s spend decades teaching the kids to be behaviorally irresponsible, run to Planned Parenthood, and then sabotage the next generation with birth control pills and abortions. Next, let’s whine there aren’t enough children in 2011. Lack of foresight does tend to produce poor results, doesn’t it? Maybe the current generation of teachers can learn something– like from their own mistakes and those of their predecessors. But how likely are they to actually learn anything? Meanwhile, they will be facing smaller and smaller paychecks, and fewer and fewer citizens to generate taxes supporting their retirement years.””

My contribution of the obvious posted fine, but thanks to the media censors of Cedar Rapids Gazette/KCRG-TV9, it was censored away within a day or two. Not only that, they closed down the entire thread and even quashed their own initial posting (the few lines quoted above between the asterisks)that stated the declining enrollment problem and asked for feedback. Even they finally seemed to recognize the mental midgetry involved in their own effort.

13. Smithc430 says:

Very nice! bbdaefceea